Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Tara is Smarter Than Me

ORIGINALLY WRITTEN SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 27; 9:17 PM

I saw Tara for the first time today. It was good to see her, but I couldn't look her in the eye.

Anyway, she hugged me. She was worried about me. I told her everything except the part about sacrificing someone in her place.

Tara: "So it just...let you go?"

I nodded.

T: "Then..hmm. I've read about this."

J: "What? Has this thing been other places?"

T: "No. Things like him. It's..hard to explain. You know the Slender Man, right?" Even though girls were missing, I could hear excitement at the edge of her voice. I knew this excitement. It usually precedes Tara being brilliant or painfully naive.

J: "Tara what the fuck are you talking about?"

T: "There's this urban legend some people online made up...only, it might not be a legend anymore. Some people think that believing in it made it real. And that giving it backstory and history and a foothold might have made it powerful. What if this...Smiling Man is something like that?"

I blinked at her. "What."

T: "I looked up some stuff. I think this...this thing is someone's attempt to make something new. Make something horrible of their own. I found a couple message boards of people trying but they mostly lose interest. I'm still looking for one for this thing."

J: "But what if it's not a made up monster made real? What if it's a real fucking monster?"

T: "Well, that'll be online too, obviously." She said matter-of-factly. "Now that I know what it looks like maybe we can find something in an internet search."

So there you have it. Tara's going to start searching for this thing.

She's too excited about it, though. I'm worried she'll get in over her head.

Oh well. Parents are making me get off the computer. Big day at school tomorrow. They're finally letting me go.

I wonder who gets the flowers now?

No comments:

Post a Comment